I remember I had green tomatoes for the first time last year on a vacation down in North Carolina. They were SO delicious and tasty! They were served deep fried with a creamy dressing, cheese and sprinkle of herbs. The inspiration for this salad definitely came from that meal. I changed up a few things, including the fact that my green tomatoes were cut up into smaller bite-sized pieces (eliminating the need to cut away at them before eating) and that they aren’t deep-fried. Additionally, I opted for more of a salad base. I definitely made sure to incorporate a creamy dressing, because having both the tomato flavors and creaminess is an out-of-this-world combination (in my opinion at least)! I would like to thank Taproot Farm for the delicious green tomatoes which inspired this delicious and seasonal dish! Enjoy and happy cooking! 🙂
Pieces of Green Tomato Breaded in Flour and Crispy Onion Pieces, Served with Mixed Greens, Microgreens, Greek Yogurt Dressing and Black Pepper
Serves 2 People for a Light Meal or Multiple as an Appetizer
Recipe by © Alysha Melnyk 2018
Oven, Preheated to 350°F
Large Ziploc Bag
Dry Measuring Cups
Small Mixing Bowl
1 Sheet Pan
4 Green Tomatoes, Diced
1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour
2 Large Eggs, Whisked
1/2 Cup Crispy Onion Pieces – Salted (I used an organic one from my local Whole Foods)
For Serving: Dressing of Choice (I used Greek Yogurt Dressing), Mixed Greens, Microgreens and Extra Black Pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Line sheet pan with parchment paper.
3. Dice green tomatoes (discard any watery parts that fall out during dicing).
4. Place diced green tomato pieces in Ziploc bag and add flour.
5. Toss back and forth gently until the pieces are coated.
6. Next, pour pre-whisked eggs into the Ziploc bag and toss back and forth gently.
7. Finally, add in the crispy onion pieces, tossing back and forth gently to combine.
8. Next, pour everything onto your lined sheet pan. Using a fork or your hands, gently break this apart into small sections (I made mine bite-sized clusters). This will look messy, but I promise it will turn out great!
9. Drizzle everything with olive oil and gently toss sections.
10. Sprinkle everything with black pepper.
11. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove and flip pieces, and bake for another 15 minutes (for 30 minutes total).
12. Allow to cool for a few minutes after baking.
13. Assemble salad on plate (I used mixed greens and microgreens), arrange tomato pieces on top, drizzle with dressing of choice and season with black pepper.
14. Enjoy! 🙂
*Store leftovers in the refrigerator.*