yield: 8 servings
This is a classic picnic salad that unfortunately I had not discovered until a few years ago. It seems I’m making up for lost time. We love having this in the fridge all summer long. It’s great as a side salad for a BBQ or just eat it as is. Raw broccoli soaks up the dressing. It’s crunchy, salty, sweet and tangy. You can fancy it up with various seeds, dried fruit, and a hard cheese such as pecorino romano. You could also add other hearty vegetables such as kale or celery. Or just keep it as is, its great.
* 2-3 heads of broccoli- I prefer to use both the flowerets and the stem. I remove the last inch or so of stem as it can be tough. I roughly chop the flowerets and more finely chop the stem.
* 1 cup of toasted nuts or seeds- I used walnuts because it’s what I had in my pantry. Almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds would also be nice.
* One medium red onion- minced
* 4 pieces of bacon – cooked and crumbled
* 1 cup of shredded cheese- I used longhorn but you can use cheese of your choice or omit it for a more slaw like salad.
* The addition of dried fruit can be great. I’ve used dried cherries, cranberries, dates and raisins. I didn’t have any dried fruit so I omitted it this time around.
* Half a cup of yogurt
* 1/3 cup of mayo
* 2 Tablespoons of vinegar – I used white wine vinegar but apple cider could work too. I feel apple cider vinegar has more of a punch than white wine vinegar. I start with 2 Tablespoons and add more to taste. The dressing should have a good vinegar punch to it.
* 2 Tablespoons of honey or sugar