Serves: 3-4 as a side
braised curly kale
Braising is one of my favorite ways to prepare kale. It’s quick and easy if you want to enjoy cooked kale as a side dish or main part of any meal. Also a great way to cook down and eat a large bunch of kale you may have stored in the refrigerator you’re eager to use.
- First, destem your curly kale and tear into bite sized pieces.
- Heat olive oil and minced garlic (if using – I used about 4 cloves but you can certainly use more) over medium heat to lightly sauté (you could also use garlic scapes).
- Add broth/stock of choice and kale pieces.
- Cover with a lid and cook kale (tossing occasionally) for 5-10 minutes until desired tenderness is reached.
- Uncover and cook off any remaining liquid (or reserve liquid and enjoy on top of the kale).
- Top with additional seasonings/herbs of choice (I used salt, pepper, and chili flakes). Enjoy!
Alysha Melnyk is the Founder and Content Creator of The Kitchenologist©, a food blog dedicated to healthy eating and kitchen experiments. Alysha combined her background in biology with her passion for making food delicious, eye-catching, and accessible. When she’s not cooking in the kitchen or dreaming up a recipe, Alysha works full time as an Implementation Manager at ECRI, an international medical nonprofit located in suburban Philadelphia that is dedicated to improving patient safety worldwide. Alysha finds her many career passions revolve around the power of knowledge and that equipping people with the right tools and resources will help them make better informed decisions.