Everything Eggplant Pizza Rounds
I am always looking for ways to incorporate anything pizza-like into my meal game! And these eggplant pizza rounds always hit the spot and are well beloved by family and friends. If you have been following my food blog for awhile, you may remember my post for “The Healthier ‘Bagel Bite’: Zucchini Supreme Pizza Bites“. This recipe is very similar, just tweaked for eggplant! The great part about this recipe is you can choose to be as creative as you want and use whatever vegetables/other toppings you want to use. This recipe is perfect for any spare vegetables you want to use but aren’t 100% sure what to do with. I’d like to thank Taproot Farm for all the beautiful organic vegetables utilized in this dish – Italian eggplant, cherry tomatoes, garlic, onion, basil and sweet peppers. So, if you are in the mood for a quick and easy recipe version of a “healthier” pizza, you may want to give this recipe a go. Enjoy! 🙂
Thinly Sliced Rounds of Italian Eggplant Topped with Tomato Basil Sauce, Diced Onion, Minced Garlic, Cherry Tomatoes, Sweet Peppers, Shredded Asiago, Parmesan, Pepperoni and Fresh Basil
Serves 2 People for a Meal (*More as an Appetizer)
Recipe by © Alysha Melnyk 2018
Oven, Preheated to 400°F
1 Sheet Pan
1 Italian Eggplant, Thinly Sliced into Rounds
1 Cup Tomato Sauce of Choice (I used a Tomato Basil one)
1 Cup Grated Asiago
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes, Halved
1 Cup Sweet Pepper, Diced
1/3 Cup Pepperoni, Diced
1/2 Cup Onion, Diced
1/4 Cup Fresh Parmesan
1/4 Cup Fresh Basil, Torn
*These are all approximate measurements and you can add more, less or something different as needed.*
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Line one standard sheet pan with parchment paper.
3. Slice the Italian eggplant into thin slices, and lay slices on parchment paper.
4. Drizzle olive oil (lightly) all over the sheet pan and eggplant slices, then gently toss the eggplant in the olive oil and coat both sides of the slices while spreading the olive oil all over the parchment paper.
5. Sprinkle the eggplant slices with some salt and pepper, and then bake for 15 to 20 minutes (*bake 20 minutes for softer eggplant).
6. After this time, remove the pan from the oven (while leaving the oven on), and top the eggplant slices with tomato sauce, cheese, minced garlic, halved cherry tomatoes, diced sweet pepper, diced onion, and diced pepperoni (don’t worry about being a bit messy – everything scoops up easily from the pan in the end haha!).
7. Place the pan back in the oven for five to ten more minutes until everything is melted and warmed (I normally do around 5 to 7 minutes).
8. Remove the pan from the oven, sprinkle rounds with parmesan, fresh torn basil, and extra black pepper, allow to cool five minutes, then serve, and enjoy! ?