Greetings everyone and happy 2018 CSA season! 🙂 My name is Alysha Melnyk, the founder and creator behind the blog The Kitchenologist© (click on the photo above to visit my site), and I am SO thrilled to be working with Taproot Farm this CSA season to create some easy, unique and tasty recipes that align with your weekly CSA pickup! Please check out the “A Little Bit About Me” section on my blog if you are interested in knowing more about my background and/or connect with me on Instagram (alyshamelnyk). Looking forward to sharing recipes with all of you!
Now on to the good stuff – your weekly recipe! 🙂 This recipe is fairly simple (but oh so delicious!) ~ a fried farm fresh egg with green garlic and seed toast topped with Persian cucumber, French radish, Hakurei turnip and herbed goat cheese, with mixed greens and balsamic on the side. My inspiration for this recipe came from just wanting to “spice up” the simple everyday breakfast. I had actually never had green garlic before and using it in this recipe gave me a newfound appreciation for it. You get the light flavor of garlic, but a whole stalk equates to nothing overpowering. Additionally, Hakurei turnips were brand new to me – crunchy, sweet, spicy and absolutely delicious! For as fancy as this recipe looks, I assure you it’s really simple. Just some frying and some slicing and you’ll have a delicious meal ready in no time at all! Hope you enjoy! 🙂
Farm Fresh Egg with Green Garlic and Seed Toast Topped with Persian Cucumber, French Radish, Hakurei Turnip and Herbed Goat Cheese, Paired with Mixed Greens and Balsamic on the Side
Makes 1 Serving (*Can Easily by Multiplied)
Recipe by © Alysha Melnyk 2018
Large Sauté Pan with Lid
1 Farm Egg
1 Stalk Green Garlic
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Slice Bread of Choice
1 French Radish
1 Hakurei Turnip
1/4 Small Persian Cucumber
1 Slice Cheese of Choice (*I used herbed goat cheese)
1 Cup Mixed Greens of Choice
1 Teaspoon Balsamic Reduction
Seasonings: Sea Salt, Black Pepper and Chili Flakes
1. First, toast your bread of choice. While bread is toasting, slice radish, turnip and cucumber into thin slices. Set aside.
2. Next, remove the leafy ends and roots of the green garlic (with the white/green stem remaining) and slice into small rounds.
3. After that, pour olive oil into the large sauté pan and mix in sliced green garlic, cooking on low to medium heat until garlic lightly browns.
4. Next, move the garlic to the edge of the pan and crack an egg in the middle. Gently move green garlic on top of the egg white, surrounding the yolk.
5. While egg is cooking, top toast with goat cheese and sliced vegetables, sprinkling the entire thing with salt, pepper and chili flakes and place on serving plate.
6. Pair with a side salad of simply mixed greens drizzled with balsamic reduction.
7. Next, add cooked egg onto the plate and serve.
8. Enjoy! 🙂
I hope you all enjoy your first CSA pickup this week ~ happy cooking and creating! 🙂