Let’s be honest – some (*most) days get CRAZY busy! To the point that a nutritious and filling dinner seems virtually impossible. However, I have found there are ways to make a delicious and healthy meal without taking hours to make it. One of my favorites is my “decked out” boxed macaroni and cheese! It’s faster than making a homemade macaroni and cheese, but tastes just as delicious. I love adding a mixture of fresh vegetables into the meal – it adds so many great textures and flavors, along with a lot of great vitamins and minerals! This version of my “decked out” boxed macaroni and cheese had green garlic from Taproot Farm, peas, broccoli and Canadian bacon incorporated into the mix, along with some Greek yogurt which helped make the sauce thicker and creamier, while also adding in a great source of protein. This meal is a hit with any age and is a fast and easy option any night of the week. It’s also a terrific way to use vegetables ~ enjoy and happy cooking! 🙂
“Decking Out” the Standard Boxed Macaroni and Cheese with Green Garlic, Greek Yogurt, Petite Peas, Broccoli and Canadian Bacon
Makes Around 2-4 Servings* (*Depending how hungry you are)
Recipe by © Alysha Melnyk 2018
Large Sauté Pan with Lid
Medium Sauce Pan with Lid
Liquid Measuring Cup
Dry Measuring Cups
1 Box Macaroni and Cheese (I use Organic Annie’s Grass Fed Shells and Mild Cheddar Mac and Cheese)
1 Cup Frozen Petite Green Peas
1 Cup Broccoli Pieces
1 Stem Green Garlic, Sliced into Small Rounds
2 Slices Canadian Bacon, Cut into Small Squares (*Or another meat of choice or no meat)
2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
1/4 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
3 Tablespoons Whole Milk
Sprinkle of Flour (*To help thicken sauce)
Optional for Topping: Fresh Ground Black Pepper
*Feel free to get creative with this and add in your own mixture of vegetables or additional vegetables to this mix!
1. Fill medium sauce pan with water (*according to macaroni cheese box instructions) and bring to boil.
2. While the water is heating, drizzle sauté pan with olive oil and place peas, broccoli, green garlic and Canadian bacon pieces in pan, cooking on medium heat. Add 1/4 cup water to the pan and cover so broccoli softens. Once broccoli is softened take off lid and allow moisture to cook off.
3. While this is cooking, cook pasta shells according to box instructions. Set up strainer in sink for when shells are done cooking.
4. Once vegetable/bacon mixture is cooked, turn off heat and set aside.
5. When shells are cooked and draining in strainer, add butter to the sauce pan and melt. Once butter is melted, add in cheese packet, whole milk, yogurt and flour (if needed), mixing until evenly combined.
6. Stir in pasta shells, then mix in cooked vegetables/bacon until combined.
7. Place in serving bowl and top with ground black pepper
8. Enjoy warm! 🙂
*Leftovers keep in fridge for 4-5 days and reheat perfectly for lunches and other meals.*