Green Glory Lentil Salad with Tamari Pepitas
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds (aka pepitas)
- 1/2 TBS tamari or soy sauce
- 1/2 cup dry beluga lentils
- 1 medium zucchini (or other summer squash)
- 1 medium cucumber
- 3 scallions (or 1/4 medium sweet onion)
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 of a lime, juiced
- olive oil
- Make tamari pepitas: In a hot dry skillet, toast the pumpkin seeds until they start to become fragrant and brown. Add tamari and stir to coat. Remove from skillet and cool.
- Cook lentils in a pot of boiling water for about 30 minutes, until tender but not mushy. Drain and rinse with cool water.
- Cut zucchini lengthwise into 4 spears, then widthwise into 1/4 inch chunks. Coat the bottom of a small skillet with olive oil and add the zucchini and a dash of salt when oil is hot. Saute for about 5 minutes, stirring a few times until zucchini is soft and starts to brown. Remove from heat and cool.
- While lentils and zucchini are cooking, chop scallions. Cut cucumber into medium-size cubes, slightly smaller than the zucchini pieces. Dice the avocado into similar sized pieces.
- Assemble: Toss lentils, zucchini, cucumber, scallions, and avocado together. Top with a sprinkle of tamari pepitas and a drizzle of lime juice.
Recipe Inspiration: Beluga Lentil Salad with Greens and Tamari Seeds
Text and photography by Katie Darlington– Taproot employee, home cooking enthusiast, and farm-to-kitchen blogger. More of her recipes and writing can be found on her own blog, The Sweetness of the Season.