Serves: 4-6 as an appetizer
Local Cherry Stuffed Baked Potatoes
Local tomatoes and cherries? A unique combination not to be missed this summer season!
Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes, TOMATOES! I love everything that Taproot Farm grows, but I get a little extra giddy when the shares are stuffed with tomatoes each week. Big tomatoes, small tomatoes, everything in-between tomatoes – each and every one is entirely delicious! However, cherry tomatoes always catch my eye. They were the inspiration for this recipe – bite sized and full of color, they were the perfect “holder” for a mixture of local cherries and pecans, baked to sweet perfection. I had actually never tried tomatoes and cherries paired together before this recipe, but I was inspired to incorporate some local fruit. The result was very well received, and I am hoping to make it again soon. So, if you have a picnic, party, BBQ, or potluck (really anything that involves food) coming up, you many want to give this a go! Enjoy! 🙂
Oven Safe Dish
Large Mixing Bowl
- First, preheat your oven to 375°F and pour two teaspoons of olive oil into your baking dish. Spread the olive oil to coat the dish.
- Next, half and deseed your tomatoes if you haven’t already (see picture above).
- Mix your pecan pieces and sweet cherry pieces.
- Fill tomato halves with pecan/cherry filling (I used ~1 heaping teaspoon apiece, but you can eyeball it). Place stuffed tomatoes in baking dish.
- Bake tomatoes on the middle rack of your oven for 20 to 25 minutes (tomatoes should be tender).
- Sprinkle tomatoes with black pepper, feta, torn basil and balsamic reduction.
- Enjoy warm! 🙂
Recipe by © Alysha Melnyk 2019
Interested in some other fun tomato recipes? Check out this recipe from my friend Kelly, creator of The Bookish Kitchen: