- 1 Honey Bear acorn squash
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or butter)
- 1/2 bunch Lacinato kale
- 2 handfuls arugula
- 1 honey crisp apple, sliced thinly
- 2 oz blue cheese
- 1/2 cup roasted and salted pistachios
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- sprinkle salt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- sprinkle of cinnamon
1. Cut 1 Honey Bear squash down the middle, from stem to end. Scoop out the seeds and place on a baking sheet or casserole dish. Put one dollop of coconut oil in each hollow. Bake for 35 minutes at 375 degrees. Squash is done when it is soft and can be pierced with a fork.
2. While squash is cooking, shred kale into thin ribbons. Shake dressing ingredients (honey, mustard, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt) in a small jar, or whisk together in a small bowl. Pour about half of the dressing over the shredded kale and work it in with tongs or your hands as though you are massaging the kale.
3. Toss the rest of the salad ingredients (arugula, sliced apple, crumbled blue cheese, pistachios) with the dressed kale. Drizzle with more dressing if necessary. Serve alongside a squash half sprinkled with cinnamon.
Text and photography by Katie Darlington- Taproot employee, home cooking enthusiast, and farm-to-kitchen blogger. More of her recipes and writing can be found on her own blog, A Season to Taste.