Makes: A Bowl of Hummus (Perfect for Appetizers of Sharing)
Oven Roasted Garlic Scape Hummus
Still have some garlic scapes tucked away in your refrigerator? They make a delicious incorporation into homemade hummus – check out the recipe below!
I finally pulled out the organic Taproot Farm garlic scapes I had tucked away in my refrigerator. I have been contemplating a perfect way to use them in a recipe, and I was curious how oven roasting small pieces and blending them into a hummus recipe would turn out. The result was very flavorful and full of texture – not too garlicky, with chewy pieces of roasted garlic scape tucked into every bite. I loved pairing this hummus with other Taproot Farm vegetables I had on hand (cucumbers, Hakurei turnips, radishes), as well as pieces of my favorite garlic naan. This recipe is perfect for an appetizer, side addition to any meal, or spread/dip paired with your favorite snacks or salads. I hope you all enjoy this simple and unique recipe as much as I have – happy cooking and eating! 🙂
Interested in other ways to use garlic scapes? Check out these additional recipes from my blog!
1 Cup Garlic Scape Pieces
1 ~15 Ounce Can of Chickpeas
1/3 Cup Unsalted & Unsweetened Tahini
1/2 Large Lemon, Juiced
1 Teaspoon Fine Sea Sat
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
Extras: Salt, pepper, olive oil, fresh torn herbs, and vegetables/bread of choice for dipping/spreading!
- First, preheat your oven to 425°F.
- While oven is preheating, cut your garlic scape strands into ~0.5 in pieces (I use scissors to do this, but you could also use a knife).
- After scapes are cut into pieces, combine the scapes with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a mixing bowl and mix until pieces are evenly coated.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and pour scape pieces/olive oil on top, using a spatula to spread into a single layer.
- Roast your garlic scapes for approximately 20 minutes (tossing halfway) until the pieces are wrinkly and browned.
- Allow garlic scapes to cool to room temperature.
- While garlic scapes are cooling, rinse and drain your can of chickpeas.
- Combine chickpeas with two tablespoons of olive oil and blend.
- Next, add two tablespoons of cold water and blend.
- After that, add tahini and blend.
- Next, add in the juice of the 1/2 of lemon and blend.
- After that, add two more tablespoons of cold water and blend.
- Then, add in your cooled garlic scape pieces and blend.
- Lastly, add salt and cumin, then blend.
- Remove hummus mixture from food processor and give some final mixes in a storage bowl. Allow hummus to chill for one to two hours and mix again before serving (this allows all the flavors to meld together nicely).
- Top hummus with extra olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh torn herbs if desired. Serve with bread and vegetables.
Recipe by © Alysha Melnyk 2019