Who doesn’t love a good caprese salad?! Especially given the fact that tomato season is HERE! 🙂 My version of caprese salad uses organic basil, red slicing tomatoes, and cherry sungold tomatoes all from Taproot Farm! I also used purple basil and nasturtium flowers (yes, they are an edible variety – and a bit spicy in flavor!) from my own garden at home, in addition to mozzarella, balsamic reduction, olive oil, salt and pepper. This salad is super simple and easy to make, in addition to being absolutely delicious in flavor! Perfect as a appetizer to share, side dish for dinner, or a light meal. Tasty food definitely doesn’t have to be complicated, especially when we are in midst of the summer harvest season with the freshest ingredients around. I hope you all enjoy this salad as much as I have – enjoy and happy eating! 🙂
Simple Italian Salad of Red Tomatoes, Cherry Sungold Tomatoes, Mozzarella, Green & Purple Basil, Olive Oil, Balsamic Reduction, Nasturtium Flowers, Salt and Black Pepper
Makes 4 Servings (*We ate this for an appetizer pre-dinner)
Recipe by © Alysha Melnyk 2018
Dry Measuring Cups
4 Medium Red Slicing Tomatoes, Thinly Sliced
3/4 Cup Cherry Sungold Tomatoes, Halved
16oz Mozzarella, Thinly Sliced
1/2 Cup Fresh Basil, Torn & Small Whole Leaves (I used both green basil and purple basil)
Black Pepper (*To Taste)
Salt (*To Taste)
Olive Oil (*Drizzle to Taste)
Balsamic Reduction (*Drizzle to Taste)
Optional for Topping: Nasturtium Flowers (or other edible flower variety)
1. First, arrange sliced red tomatoes and sliced mozzarella on the tray.
2. Next, top with cherry sungold halves.
3. Sprinkle everything with torn basil & basil leaves, salt and pepper.
4. Arrange edible flowers on plate if using.
5. Drizzle everything with olive oil and balsamic reduction (*to taste – I always go with the “less is more” thought process so I don’t overpower the flavors of the tomato and mozzarella).
6. Serve immediately and enjoy! 🙂