Cream puffs are definitely near the top my (*very extensive) list of favorite desserts! I always light up when I see them at a party or gathering. This is actually my first time making cream puffs, because I always felt they were something highly inaccessible that would take forever to make. However, these ones are surprisingly quick and easy (even though they don’t look like it). Strawberry season is upon us and these work PERFECTLY with fresh strawberries! I made this recipe super easy by just filling the puffs with my favorite whipped cream and fresh organic strawberries from Taproot Farm. Another easy stuffing is your favorite ice cream (we tried it with vanilla) or for a more complicated but decadent stuffing make a batch of custard! Click the photo above and search “custard” on my blog to find a recipe I made for a birthday tart! 🙂 Basically, there are a million options with these. They store well in an airtight container, so you can even switch up the fillings each time you serve them. Hope you enjoy these cream puffs as much as we have ~ happy baking! 🙂
Fluffy Bite-Sized Puffs Filled with Taproot Farm Fresh Organic Strawberries and Whipped Cream, Sprinkled with Powdered Sugar
Makes 75 Mini Cream Puffs
*This seems like a large number, but trust me – they go fast!
Recipe by © Alysha Melnyk 2018
Oven, Preheated to 390°F
Sheet Pans Lined with Parchment Paper
Medium Sauce Pan
Dry Measuring Cups
Liquid Measuring Cups
*You can spoon the mixture onto the tray or you can use a piping bag. I have a reusable piping bag.
1/2 Cup Butter (*1 Stick)
1 Cup Water
1 Cup Whole Milk
Pinch of Salt
1 and 1/4 Cup* All-Purpose Flour (*Use more as needed)
1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
Filling/Topping Options: Fresh Strawberries, Isigny Sainte-Mère Crème a la Vanille de Madagascar whipped cream, ice cream, custard, powdered sugar and maple sugar.
1. First, move the oven racks toward the center of the oven, preheat the oven to 390°F and line the sheet pans with parchment paper.
2. Next, in the medium sauce pan combine water, milk, butter and salt. Heat and mix until butter is melted and mixture is warm.
3. Remove from heat and immediately whisk in flour and add in vanilla extract.
4. Let mixture cool slightly. While mixture is cooling, you can slice some strawberries for stuffing.
5. Once mixture is cooled, crack in one whole egg at a time and whisk to combine. Mixture should be “gummy” in consistency. If not, add a tablespoon of flour (*one at a time) until achieving a gummy consistency. I used about two more tablespoons of flour.
6. Next, spoon or pipe walnut-size dough rounds onto the parchment paper (about 2 inches apart) and bake for around 15 to 20 minutes (*mine baked for 20 minutes).
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Repeat baking until all of the mixture is used.
8. To stuff puffs, either slice in half (as pictured above) and fill as desired or take a knife and make a slit down the center and fill using whipped cream tip or spoon in mixture.
9. *Stuff only the cream puffs you are using immediately. All others store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days and then refrigerate or freeze immediately.*
10. Enjoy! 🙂
Follow my blog “The Kitchenologist©” by clicking on one of the photos above! 🙂
Find me on Instagram at alyshamelnyk 🙂