One of my all-time favorite vegetables is rainbow chard. It’s SO delicious and filling, and also the stem colors are so pretty! I am convinced it can pair with just about anything. On and off I get a craving for a good breakfast sandwich and I had the idea of incorporating some chard into the mix. I love breakfast sandwiches because they can be eaten any time of the day – lunch, breakfast, dinner, a snack, you name it! This breakfast sandwich included some of my favorite flavors – organic rainbow chard from Taproot Farm with melted Asiago cheese on top (SO good!), pan fried Canadian bacon, a runny egg, sunflower microgreens and Dijon mustard to pull everything together. It’s amazing what a few unique ingredients can do to spice up something that is relatively ordinary. I hope you enjoy this breakfast sandwich as much as I do – it’s easily a new favorite in our house. Hope you enjoy and happy cooking! 🙂
Toasted English Muffin Stuffed with Sautéed Rainbow Chard Sprinkled with Asiago Cheese, Canadian Bacon, a Sunnyside-Up Egg, Microgreens and Dijon Mustard
Makes 1 Serving (*Can Easily be Multiplied)
Recipe by © Alysha Melnyk 2018
Large Sauté Pan
1 English Muffin (*Or Sandwich Bread of Choice)
Olive Oil (*For coating pan)
1 Slice Canadian Bacon (*Can also use ham, bacon, sausage or no meat)
2 Chard Leaves, Destemmed (*Can save ribs to cook up later)
1 Tablespoon Shredded Asiago Cheese (*Or cheese of choice)
2 Tablespoons Microgreens of Choice
2 Teaspoons Dijon Mustard
1. First, drizzle sauté pan with olive oil and heat to low/medium.
2. Slice English muffin in half and toast while pan is heating.
3. Next, add in slice of Canadian bacon and chard leaves into the sauté pan.
4. Cook until one side of the Canadian bacon is browned and chard leaves are partially cooked.
5. Flip Canadian bacon and stir chard leaves, then crack one egg in another portion of the pan, cooking as desired.
6. Just before egg is finished cooking as desired, sprinkle Asiago cheese directly on chard and melt.
7. Top English muffin bottom with chard/cheese combination, then place Canadian bacon and egg on top, sprinkle with microgreens and spread the top half of the English muffin with Dijon mustard, then assemble.
8. Enjoy! 🙂