SIMPLE BBQ STYLE
- Heat the oil or fat in a large saucepot over medium high heat. Add onions and a pinch of salt and cook until caramelized, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic, jalapeño, ginger, red chili flake and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add brown sugar and pears and a pinch of salt, stir to coat everything well and cook for 5 minutes, until caramelized.
- Add all remaining ingredients, bring to boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until reduced by half, about 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from heat, puree in a blender, and pass through a sieve.
- Check seasonings and adjust if needed.
- Allow to cool completely in a plastic container.
- Cover tightly and store under refrigeration for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
George Sabatino is a Philadelphia chef who is dedicating his career to developing vegetable focused dishes, with special attention to sourcing locally and treating all ingredients (and their journeys from farm to table) with respect and purpose.